Pages

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Geek Trivia: Notepad Bug

Did you know? Windows Notepad (our favorite Windows text editor) has a bug! If you enter a proper series of letters and words, you will get a weird (and I mean weird) result. The result I got was a series of Chinese characters. I'm not sure if yours will differ. Anyway, here's how to do it:

1. Open Windows Notepad
2. Type pats has the power (in small letters)
3. Save the document, and close Windows Notepad

4. Open the saved file (I saved mine as test.txt)


Hehehe cool, ain't it?

Well the reason behind that, says JOECOOL (vulcanlogic7@yahoo.com), is that:
In notepad, any other 4-3-3-5 letter word combo will have the same results.
It is all to do with a limitation in Windows. Text files containing Unicode UTF-16-encoded Unicode are supposed to start with a "Byte-Order Mark" (BOM), which is a two-byte flag that tells a reader how the following UTF-16 data is encoded.
Sorry but I'm not an ultra-techie person and I absolutely don't know what that meant, so if anyone can care to explain that in layman's term, that would be great!

Sources: http://bink.nu/Article7429.bink; www.eeggs.com

No comments: